Some of my followers may wonder why and how I manage to go to Europe on my own. This trip is one of many adventures where I have gone solo. Most of those trips are for business. My husband Courtney will occasionally go with me on a business trip if the accommodations are first class. He likes places such as the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. We have also taken numerous family vacations together, to places such as exotic as Hawaii, Sweden, and France and closer to home, such as NYC.
But the itinerary for last year's trip to Poland, Hungary, and Germany and this year's trip to Poland is a highly personal one. Most people who I know would not be interested in spending days in soggy, haunted cemeteries or dusty dark archives and libraries. The work that I am doing here in Poland does not include shopping, sight-seeing, skiing, swimming, or any of the activities that usually characterize a vacation. I need to be free to spend as many hours looking at archival documents as I have to without worrying about boring my travel companions. I go at my own pace, rarely stopping for food or bathroom breaks.
One of the reasons that I love my husband is that from the very beginning of our relationship, he has been supportive of my interests, whether professional or personal. When he is interested, he joins me. And when he isn't, he graciously steps aside. So, I rarely feel guilty about leaving home for days and even weeks if adventure calls. While I am absent, he takes care of the bills, mail, houseplants, and fending for himself. Who knows? He may even enjoy the extended periods of solitude.
I think it's possible that my work and interests have caused me to be absent on my husband's birthday, June 25th, more often than not. We celebrate when we are back together, but I know a lot of spouses would feel abandoned by such behavior and make their partners feel guilty about their absences. That's never been the case with my husband.
I'll see both Courtney and Jennifer in about a week, when they fly to Stockholm to meet me and my new Swedish cousins. It's just another example of how my guy is one of the good ones. While seeing Sweden for the second time would probably not be his first choice of vacations this year, he's willing to celebrate the joyful reunion of the Galas family with me.
How do you sing "Happy Birthday" in Swedish? I guess we'll learn, ja?
I love you, Bear.
Bear,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this most interesting and unique birthday card! I do support your personal and professional interests, and admire your passion and enthusiasm for these endeavors. Following your interests has fueled your growth, and enabled you to live a more enriched life -- a life which I'm blessed to be a part of.
Zeev and Nomi are also June babies. Let's encourage them, along with me, to celebrate belatedly in Stockholm!
I love you too, Bear.