My heart was pounding as I headed out of the plane and headed toward the Stockholm terminal to meet my relatives. The sun temporarily blinded me but I could hear two voices calling "Debbie, Debbie." And then I saw them: Sylvia and Zev, my two cousins, tall, smiling, and waiting for my hugs. I was already crying by the time I heard them.
Sylvia has made me promise not to cry any more, but I told her that I needed at least 24 hours of crying. I cried once again when I met Genia, yet another cousin from Israel, and then I cried again when I met Sylvia and Josef's daughter Elinor. By the time Courtney and Jennifer arrived in the early evening, I was all smiles. Sylvia and Zev's son Micheal got another round of hugs and kisses.
We had a wonderful salmon dinner and rhubarb pie, all home cooked, around a big outdoor table. The conversations were in English (for our benefit), Hebrew (Courtney knew the dirty words), Yiddish, Swedish, and French. I cannot describe the happiness I felt. Just as we were talking about my mom (oh, mom, how I wish you were here), Courtney referred to her by her nickname--Faygala--which means little bird. And then, a little bird flew right over our table.
We are meeting today at a famous Stockholm Museum, the Vasa Museet, but it is this evening that I look forward to: another cousin! Nomi and her parents will arrive.
We have already shared some family photos, including one of Sylvia's grandfather (my grandfather's brother) and one of Sylvia's mother. There is a great resemblance in one of those photos to my mother, Sylvia's first cousin. There will be lots more stories and sharing.
Tonight, have some very important documents to give to my Swedish and Israeli cousin, Genia, and I would particularly like to have the "children," Jennifer, Micheal, Elinor and Nomi, be there when I present them. I am concerned that all of this effort I have expended to gather the family history will be lost if it is not passed on.
No comments:
Post a Comment